Friday, December 26, 2008

Why do we need a god?

Before I started writing this, I decided to surprise myself. I searched for this exact title on internet but I was not surprised at all. There are hundreds of posts out there with the same title. I wonder what I am going to write and how will it be different from others. But I didn’t read any of them. I might read that once I empty my head. Reading what others have written might make me think why we really don’t need a god.

It is not about power, not about being a believer, not about having a blind faith, and certainly not about letting yourself believe that your life is not under your control at all. Why do I need to believe that my god is better than the all other gods available for taking? Just like a kid telling the other, 'my dad is better than your dad'. Makes me wonder how this word dad changes into god once you know that your dad is old and you need something new to boast about. I am yet to come across any such person who told me that his god is bigger and better; I would for sure challenge him for a 'god fight'.. Hell yeah, his god against mine. That will draw huge crowd and guess what, I might make some quick money too. Works out for me. I find out who the better god is and make some money with my god fighting it out for me. Is that not what we all look for? Find out who is powerful and rake some money up in the process. It won’t take a long time to switch sides, no harm done. But the only thing is how do we find our gods? Gods have no numbers on Yellow Pages, no addresses and yes, no blogs too. But if faith can move mountains, it can find one god too. So let us leave it upto faith for the time being.

So the eternal favorite question, why god? A question talked about by millions of faith and million other faithless. What is faith? Is it something that you are born with or something you develop? I don’t know a lot of people, but I have seen many. Of all I know, we are all born with a faith. A faith that whatever our parents tell us is right. That frame of mind is something that we have till we begin to use our own mind. That is when we think and see what could be right and what is wrong. Certain things take us time to get over with and many other things we don’t remember. Our fears are something we overcome in due course of time when we face them. But there is something that lingers on in our small head. With a few exceptions, there is one thing stays with us for the rest of our little lives. That thing is the faith in god and in the unknown. Some people consider it to be their prized possession, but for some it is a shame if they talk about it in open. Some deny it because they don’t want to be laughed at in this technologically advanced time and some hide behind it to ignore their failure in life. Some figure out that god is just another fairy tale character that was to help them pray for things they could not have when they were kids and by the time they figure out that gods do not post letters and send gifts they are big enough to shop for themselves. This is what god is to most of the people I know.

After all this, I wonder if I really need to believe in god? I am a techie. I do something that was unthinkable a few decades ago. I at times think that how can I lie by writing a code that makes me a sinner. Tough question. What if I write a code that says 2+2=3? Will I be called a blasphemer? I wonder if god knew or knows that 'int a' defines an integer in many programming languages. So what is a belief in god to me? Or what it means to a person who makes millions by just selling his underpants to another person? I guess nothing. So when someone asks me that why hundreds from gods creation are killed every day, I tell them that everyone has a bad day, and god has his own. Is it not a bad day for me when I write a piece of code that is supposed to say 'Hello, World' but it says 'I ate the red fruit'? Oh yes, it is a bad day for me. What am I left to do, rewrite that piece of code, create its child code and make it say 'Hello, World'. Is that the reason why we are all here? I hope you understand what I mean to say. If you don’t, please save yourself some time and pray to god.

If you are still looking for the reason why we need a god, you really have that in you. The faith in god. No matter what you read, no matter what you say, deep inside you know that you want to see that god who you believe did all this to you and you want to know the 'why' behind everything. The 'why' behind the reason why you lost your loved one, the 'why' behind the reason why you are living, the 'why' behind the reason why you didn’t get the bicycle you prayed for day and night, the 'why' behind everything that makes no sense to you. There is no reason to believe but there needs to be someone you have faith in, you don’t have to pray but you should know that there is someone you can pray to, you don’t have to be afraid but you have to believe that there is someone watching you. That is the reason why you should believe in God. That is the reason why there is God. When all else fails there should be someone you can think of and blame for your failures. When all you did is good, you should have someone you can thank for everything. You will feel human when you believe that there is God. You don’t have to be a monkey because someone said that your ancestors have been monkeys. You have a mind of your own. Believe in any god you know of, but more important see if what your god says makes sense to you. If it does, you are on the right track. If it does not, read the Theory of Evolution. That will be of more help. Let the things that don’t concern your life not bother you. If you read a gods book which says that there was a man who was born of a goat, don’t let it get to your little head and don’t ask 'how'. But if the same book tells you that 2+2=4, follow that part. It is not to be under control but it is about living a controlled life. One you control your life, you will see that everything else is being controlled.

To leave this where I started, I read 'Why do we need God...' from the first page link in the search result on web. Believe me, I really don’t want to believe in god because "a baby gets killed in the street" for having a negligent father.
 

2 comments:

ron/e said...

That was a rich reading experience for me..Indeed, well written.
What more to write I dont know as whatever I would say would be a mere echo of your words.
But I would certainly like to add that Yes, We Do Need God. I need God infact. Its like having someone to fall back on when you are down and dejected. Its like having someone whom you can thank when you are showered with happiness. Its the feeling that yes, someone is there..just there..right there on top..And since the day you have been feeding me with stuffs I am actually feeling calm and serene. I would like to start praying now. You know, praying as in..not that conditional kind of a pray..but normal everyday prayers where I can tell Him stuffs, to thank Him, to be angry at Him, you know kind of a bonding with Him. I would love to try that..and lets see how it changes me for good or for better. I am sure I wont turn out to be worse than I already am..but I want to know if prayer does make any difference to a person's life. Ok, I am talking out of context..but fell like jotting it down.
Good work done here. Keep it up.

traveller said...

Great read Naveed. What I wonder at times, the way societies, faiths have evolved can be best understood if we think about the human nature, which in fact created the breeding ground for many distorted versions, And if we think about it then we will realize majority of mankind does not have demonstrated ability to evaluate every choice life offers (in spiritual terms) in a 2+2=4 terms therefore it becomes a bottleneck and larger mankind continue to invent perversions while a few advances the mankind. Paradox. Yes ut is. What I tend to think about why perversions take place in the first place "my dad is best" ? for two reasons A. small reason - certain things man has tended to define which are not definable i.e faith and god. And hence the competition. B. in fact this is more fundamental. Human has intrinsic need and craving for creating ego zones. And that makes it tribalistic. Those ego zones are evolutionary and transactional in many spaces (say open source fans v/s closed or Communism vs democratic or ManU vs Chelsea etc) therefore such ego zones nullify each other as there are so many and everyone joins or contradicts the otherone in some place... BARRING stringently defined God and stringently experience of God (aka religions) and given it has a source in "ETERNAL fear or bliss" therefore far too deep divisions .. if we agree to it then we got to invent narratives which the larger mass can relate to and does not have to wait for his ability to grow to the extent to evaluate as 2+2=4 as I sense thats far too difficult for majority of mankind (in spiritual sense).. BTW, god bless you :P (if there is then it shall bless you)